Sunday, January 20, 2013

There's A Shape In My Pocket

We played this fun guessing game on Friday to help us describe shapes by attributes, develop questioning skills and sort to solve a problem. To begin we looked closely at all of the shapes on our pocket chart and shared observations with each other. Here are some of our observations:

"There is a pattern."
"There are lots of different shapes"
"I see yellow, red and blue circles."
"There are triangles, circles, rectangles, and squares."
"Some are big and some are little."

After we really looked the cards over I told the students that I had a copy of one of the shapes in my pocket. They could each ask me a question to eliminate shapes from the pocket chart and eventually identify the shape in my pocket. They asked great questions, using what they knew about shapes. Here are some examples:

"Is it yellow?"
"Are all the sides the same length?"
"Are the sides curved or straight?"
"Does it have 3 corners?"
"Is it large or small?"

We played 3 times because everybody wanted a turn to ask their question!


No comments:

Post a Comment