Friday, December 14, 2012

Writing Workshop

We have been so busy in writing workshop! Since we are so good at stretching words out to hear the sounds in the word, and then writing down the letters, we have switched our focus . The last few weeks we have been talking a lot about different forms of writing. We used books from our own classroom library to gain an understanding that stories have a beginning, middle and end. We found out that we had been writing mostly summaries instead of stories. Now we have booklets, with 4 pages and a cover, to write our own stories as an additional paper option. A few days later we learned that there are so many possibilities for writing including lists and letters. Again, more paper options and a lot more purposeful writing were a result! Yesterday, the focus of our mini-lesson was real-world purposes for writing. I modeled how I had already used writing that morning. I showed them the lesson plans I wrote for the day, a letter to Mrs. Hayes requesting books about family traditions, and a memory book I made for my mom for Christmas. It was fun and our students are writing like crazy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment